Cover the field, Cinderella, algebra, WWII, and 24

The fourth grade math group played the same game as yesterday, with a tweak to the rules. Yesterday they could only add pairs of numbers to help create a multiplication equation. Today they were given a 12-sided die, a 9-sided die and two 6-sided dice. They were allowed, and encouraged, to combine the numbers in any way possible that would allow them to play an array on the board. They added, subtracted, multiplied and divided. Most importantly, they had to strategize in order to come up with equations that worked with the space left on the board. I heard many good math conversations as they worked to find ways to get themselves on the board.

Third grade reading reviewed the basics of story elements. While this was met with some groans of, “We’ve already done this,” I added some depth to their understanding by explaining that setting is both the time and place a story takes place and asked them to consider the words conflict and resolution rather than just problem and solution. I read them one version of Grimm’s Cinderella. This one was certainly different than the one they’ve seen on TV and/or read. There was definitely some groaning as I read them the gross parts. Once we were finished, we reviewed the characters and the setting. When I see them again on Thursday, we’ll review the conflict and the resolution, while also focusing on the plot. Next week students will be working in groups to read Cinderella stories from different cultures. They’ll compare the story elements between their version and the original I read to them. Students will then be asked to compare between their versions.

Second grade math continued their exploration of algebra. Most students have now gotten the hang of it, but still need a bit of practice. As they do, students are being given more challenging problems practicing the same skill. As students show they’ve mastered every type of problem on that front, they’re moving into different types of problem solving. Just as we expect classroom teachers to differentiate within a classroom for the wide range of abilities, I also must differentiate within my classes for the same reasons. This is something that happens in every class at Johnson.

Fourth grade reading learned how to use Padlet, which is a website that allows them, using their school-issued Google account, to create an account, to ask and answer fellow students’ questions and to ask them of me. While I may well answer most of the questions, students were already answering each other’s questions today – which was good because I didn’t always know the answer. They’ve been given the option of letting this replace the use of post-it notes for their reading assignments. Once we conquered Padlet, we broke out some old-fashioned paper maps to answer a question about the Soviet Union. As usual, while we started with a WWII question, we ended up covering a wide range of subjects from the break-up of the Soviet Union to the break-up of Yugoslavia. We ended with a question about how countries are formed, which is going to require a bit more time than we had this afternoon.

We didn’t have our entire group today for 3rd grade math as one class was in iSTEM. So that they didn’t miss anything new, I broke out one of their favorite games – 24. If you’ve never heard of it – ask your child about it. It encourages students to think flexibly about numbers and strengthens their computational fluency. Though this is often done competitively, this group prefers to work collaboratively, which I love.